There is something about fashion – it is extremely fluid; what is in trend today, might not be in a matter of weeks and what was considered on point a few years back, might return with a bang! That is so true about the maxi dress too – over the past several years, there has been some version of this iconic fashion trend that has been returning. And there is something extremely graceful and charming about these types of dresses, because they can make you feel like the girly girl that you might want to feel like once in a while; after all, even the warrior princess needs to go the ball every now and then!
The history of the maxi dress:
As the name suggests, a maxi dress for women is just that – a dress that is on the longer side and if often not extremely form fitted, giving you that breezy look. This type of dress first become popular in the 1960s and the first versions were created by the extremely famous fashion designer Oscar de la Renta. Variations of the original maxi dress continued to do the rounds in the 70s as well, but in the 80s, the minis came into fashion and the maxi went into recession. However, the maxi is back with a bang and with a few iterations, it has become the go-to look for a whole lot of women.
How does one go about choosing the right maxi dress?
When you are getting ready to curate a wardrobe that boasts of the finest long maxi dresses, there are a few pointers that you might want to keep in mind:
- Material matters – The fabric that has been used to create the dress makes a difference, because there are some that will allow you to twirl and then there are some that will give your body the structure that you want. When you choose fabrics like rayon and georgette, you can enjoy the ease and the breezy nature, while maxi dresses in cotton are a better option for those who want their curves shown off. Then there is the fact that you need to keep in mind the climate – after all, you will not want something sheer and breezy for the cold winter months and you would not want anything super thick for the summers. Another factor you might want to keep in mind while considering fabrics would be the occasion – regal fabrics for festive occasions and summer prints for those casual days out!
- Body basics – Let’s face it – not everyone has the perfect curves, but its high time that we fall in love with ourselves and our curves. For the longest time, women would try to find outfits that would allow them to hide away their problem areas; now, it is time to accentuate those parts which you have been blessed with. When you are looking for the best gown for party or even for regular usage, you need to make sure that you look for designs and silhouettes that show off your curves and your best assets! Do you have long, slender legs – look for a dress that has a slit down the side or the middle. Have those perfect collar bones; definitely go for dresses that have a lower cut neck!
- Prints, patterns and the colour palette – It’s interesting to see that what a difference the colour or the print or the pattern of a maxi gown can make. The same cotton material, when in plain blue will look different from white floral prints on a blue base; a deep shade of wine will look different on cotton, and completely different when used on silk. As a matter of fact, when you choose a deep purple or dark green coloured dress, it just might prove to be the best gown for engagement, simply because the colour talks volumes!
How do you create various styles with your maxi dresses?
Now that you have picked your beloved dress for women online, you might also want a few pointers on how to style them for each occasion and how a single dress could probably be used for different purposes.
- Jazzing with jackets – Did you know that simply by adding a jacket, you could completely change the look of your best gown for ladies? When you wear the dress with a denim jacket, you have a look that is casual and trending and perfect for a day out with your besties or even to college. Wear the same dress with a leather jacket and you have a slightly more edgy look, which is great for date nights and for the winters. Team the same dress with a fabric jacket with embroidery and you would have added a traditional element to your otherwise western look!
- Go footloose with footwear – Oh yeah – your choice of footwear could make or break your look! So, while you might not want to wear sneakers with a dress for women for wedding, it will certainly compliment your look when you are out for a movie with your family. Team the same dress with leather boots and you have one look and the same dress with a pair of classy heels will give you a completely different look. Choose your footwear based on the type of look you want to curate and the occasion you are dressing up for, but do remember to add your own spunk – there is no need to go matching, if you know that a contrast coloured shoe might be the bolder choice!
- Accessorise! – Perhaps the easiest way to transform a look is by adding accessories; add a glimmering, shimmering belt to a dress for women party wear and you are ready to set the dance floor on fire. Add a really thick belt and it might be just what is needed to make the simple dress, office worthy. Wearing something that shows off your neckline? Why not add a petite necklace and add to the charm! A pair of stunning hoops or chandelier earrings might be just what is needed to make the best gown for girls, absolutely perfect!
Why is the maxi dress so great?
There is a reason why the maxi dress keeps coming back, because apart from being extremely comfortable, they are also flattering to almost every body type. They are a great option for almost every weather and no matter what your height, there is one option that is perfect for you. If this is a good choice for casual wear, then you can consider this as the perfect party wear dress for women too. As long as you keep an open mind, and are ready to accessories in various ways, you can have looks that are suited for almost every occasion. With some creative thinking, you could actually use the same maxi dress in a multitude of ways, creating brand new looks, each time.
Apart from coming in a range of fabrics, the maxi dress is gaining several new avatars, in terms of designs, silhouettes and more, making this the perfect addition to any wardrobe. Come to Shree and find for yourself the most trendsetting maxi dresses for women that are sure to make you the centre of attention, no matter where you go!